- Pinheiros Altos
- Golf Courses & Facilities
- Golf Academy
- Golf Tournaments
- Green Fees & Offers
- Our Hotels
- News & Events
Pinheiros Altos Golf Course's Tribute to David Grove
December 15th, 2011
In Memory of David Grove
It is with great sadness that we announce the unexpected passing of one of our members - Mr David Grove. (pictured, with his wife, Jane Grove).
Those who knew David will know how much he enjoyed his time in the Algarve and how fond he was of playing golf at Pinheiros Altos - especially the par 3 across the lake at the 8th on Olives Course.
In 2009, David, who lived in Stratford-upon-Avon, England, was awarded the OBE in recognition of his work in running a host of large manufacturing businesses. His speciality was turning around the fortunes of struggling companies, invigorating the management and staff, striving for innovation and quality and rewarding success.
Over the years he achieved more than most could even dream of, and the business that bears his name, Grove Industries, currently owns 12 companies, employs 1,500 people and has a combined turnover of £300 million. Furthermore, David was the High Sheriff of the West Midlands at the time of his passing.
A champion of British industry - especially in the Midlands - David lobbied hard to ensure manufacturing skills were retained for future generations and campaigned tirelessly for these ideals whilst serving as President of the Birmingham Chamber of Commerce. But it wasn't just business that drove him forward. When possible, David travelled the world as a member of England's "Barmy Army" cricket fans, kept up with the rugby at Twickenham and was an avid follower of West Bromwich Albion Football Club.
And then there was golf, a sport David relished in sharing with some of the other great loves of his life: family and friends. Pinheiros Altos Golf Course was his favourite course and he enjoyed many rounds here with his two sons, Simon and Jonathon - as well as his wife, Jane. Ever one for generosity, David would bring many of his friends out to the Algarve on golf tours, organising Ryder Cup style tournaments as a bit of 'friendly' competition.
To honour David's memory, and at the request of his family - knowing how much Pinheiros Altos Golf Course meant to him - a memorial bench will be placed on his favourite hole, the 8th on Olives, to remind us of this great loss and to treasure his memory and the love he had for the golf course.
He was a great character, a pleasure to be around, and has left behind a legacy that will go on to enrich the lives of thousands for many years to come. He will, unquestionably, be sadly missed by everyone at Pinheiros Altos Golf Course and all those whose lives he touched.
We bid you heartfelt farewell, David. May you rest in peace and your memory forever be remembered.
- Pinheiros Altos Members Newsletter - October 2014
- Pinheiros Altos Members Newsletter - September 2014
- Pinheiros Altos Members Newsletter - August 2014
- Pinheiros Altos Members Newsletter - July 2014
- Pinheiros Altos Members Newsletter - June 2014
- Pinheiros Altos Members Newsletter - May 2014
- Pinheiros Altos Members Newsletter - April 2014
- Pinheiros Altos Members Newsletter - March 2014
- Pinheiros Altos Members Newsletter - February 2014
- Pinheiros Altos Members Newsletter - January 2014
- Pinheiros Altos Members Newsletter - December 2013
- Pinheiros Altos Members Newsletter - November 2013
- Pinheiros Altos Members Newsletter - October 2013
- Pinheiros Altos Members Newsletter - September 2013
- Pinheiros Altos Members Newsletter – August 2013
- A Tribute to David Grove
- New Green Fees and Special Offers
- Pinheiros Altos Golf Club Members Fun Day
- Pinheiros Altos Golf Club Sunshine Classic Gala Week
- Golf Tournaments & Events Jul-Dec 2010
- Golf Tournaments & Events Jan-Jun 2010
- Golf Tournaments & Events Dec 09